These recipes are for the 2020 Spring and Autumn Shows – Home Industries – Open Classes.
ORANGE POLENTA CAKE
200g margarine (plus extra for greasing)
300g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
165g raspberries (plus extra to serve)
2 tbsp flaked almonds
2 tbsp orange liqueur (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C, 140°C fan or gas 2. Grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Whisk the margarine and 200g of the sugar in a large bowl until creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the polenta, almonds, baking powder and orange zest and mix together. Gently stir in raspberries. Spoon into the tin, scatter with flaked almonds and bake for 50 minutes until set and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place the orange juice and remaining 100g caster sugar in a small saucepan and simmer gently over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until thickened and syrupy. Remove from the heat and stir in the liqueur (if using).
- Prick the cake with a thin skewer and spoon over the syrup. Leave to cool in the tin before slicing and serving.
For the Show present the whole cake.
50g butter (at room temperature), plus extra for greasing
115g grated Cheddar cheese
40g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
Pinch of chilli powder
- Cream the butter until soft.
- Stir in the cheese, flour, chilli and pinch of salt to form a dough.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a cylinder about 3cm diameter.
- Wrap in greaseproof paper and chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease one or two baking sheets.
- After chilling, slice the dough into 5mm thick rounds and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on the tray before moving onto a plate.
For the Show display five on a plate.
CHERRY ALMOND LOAF CAKE
200g natural coloured glacé cherries
250g self-raising flour
225g butter (softened)
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs (beaten)
2 -3 drops almond essence
100g ground almonds
6 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3.
- Halve the cherries and rinse under a cold tap, then pat dry. Toss them in some flour and shake well to get rid of excess.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs and almond essence, then gently fold in the flour and ground almonds.
- Fold in the cherries, then the milk and spoon the thick mixture into a lined buttered loaf tin (23 x 13 x 7cm) and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until cake tester comes out clean.
For the Show present the whole loaf.
PDF versions of the above recipes.
For our recipe archive visit here